Hay's Galleria based travel company Belmond
has been shortlisted in the Team London Awards 2017
(not to be confused with Team London Bridge) in the Employer Supported
The annual Team London Awards celebrate the individuals, teams and corporate volunteers who are making outstanding contributions to their communities and helping to make London the best city it can be. The Awards are one of the ways the Mayor recognises some of those volunteers who go above and beyond to create better local communities.
Four years ago, Belmond set up a corporate social responsibility (CSR) committee at its head office at London Bridge to coordinate CSR efforts across its 48 hotels, trains and river cruises worldwide.
Beyond the wider organisational CSR goals and strategies, Belmond were very keen to give something back to the local community and Team London Bridge has helped broker a number of relationships and projects to help this happen.
The activity has mainly been around greening, sustainability and food growing, with projects leaving a legacy for the various communities they’ve been working with. This has included:
• Building two community estate gardens for local residents
• Upgrading a learning disabilities group's wildlife garden
• Building a garden for Phoenix School
• Two Surrey Docks Farm gardening and animal care days
• Mentoring jobless people in presentation skills to help them fund raise for projects they have set up
• Collecting Xmas gifts and taking donations to local charities
• Building a herb garden within Snowsfields Primary School playground
• Staff volunteering their lunch breaks to become reading buddies at Snowsfields School
Impressive work that's worthy of this latest recognition.
Belmond's Alison Booth said, 'Our aim is to give something back to our local community – but these activities also enable us to meet our neighbours and bring together employees from different parts of the company who would not normally interact. They are great team-building opportunities.'
The Awards ceremony takes place in November at City Hall, where all shortlisted nominees will join Team London's celebrity ambassadors and VIP guests. We wish Belmond every success and look forward to working with them again in the future.
Find out more about Belmond's CSR projects here.